|October 13, 2017|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 7:00 pm
October 3, 2017
Call to Order
Mark R. Cobb, Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, October 3, 2017, at the Shapleigh Town Hall with William J. Mageary and Michael S. Perro in attendance. Also, in attendance was Karla Bergeron, Executive Secretary to the Board of Selectmen.
In Attendance: Skip Bartosch, Roland Legere, Art Ingersoll and Kathy Fagan
Pledge of Allegiance was recited
Approval of minutes from previous meeting:
· Motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve the minutes from September 26, 2017. Motion carried unanimously.
· Kathy Fagan – Recreation Committee Member mentioned the basketball registration are currently underway. At this point there are 29 children signed up for basketball.
· Art Ingersol – Transfer Station employee mentioned over the weekend there were several bags left outside of the gate. Art was not able to obtain a name from the refuse materials while he was cleaning the area up and disposing of the refuse.
Road Commissioner’s Report: North/South:
● John Burnell, Road Commissioner, North, was not able to attend tonight’s meeting.
● Caleb Chessie, Road Commissioner, South, was not able to attend tonight’s meeting.
1. Policy Re: Posting of the Town Warrant – Motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to amend the policy to add Transfer Station to the listing of location where the warrant will be posted. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
2. Performance Evaluation Completed – Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by William J. Mageary to increase the hourly wage of the fill in employee at the Transfer Station by 3 % based on a positive performance evaluation. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
3. Pending Litigation – William J. Mageary inquired if there had been any recommendation from the Code Enforcement Officer concerning this matter. Chairman Cobb stated not at this time. A meeting has been scheduled with the CEO and the Board of Selectmen for Friday, October 6, 2017 at 9:00 am.
4. Job Descriptions for Fire/Rescue Chief – William j. Mageary asked if the JD had been received from Maine Municipal Association. The Executive Secretary stated that several samples JD for Fire/Rescue Chief had been emailed to the three Selectmen last week.
5. Shapleigh Memorial School Bottle Return – William J. Mageary stated the bottles are overflowing at the drop off box located at the school. William would like the school to be contacted in regards to picking up the returnables in a timelier manner.
1. Public Hearing General Assistance Ordinance/Amendments – Chairman Cobb opened the public hearing at 7:11 pm allowing for public comments. One member of the public asked for a further explanation of this program. The Executive Secretary stated this is a State mandated program where the Town does receive 50% reimbursement from the State for any general assistance that is granted. General Assistance is assistance for basic necessities when an emergency occurs and they meet the guidelines for assistance. Public hearing was closed at 7:16 pm. Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by William J Mageary to approve the 2017 General Assistance Ordinance as amended by the State of Maine. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
2. Abatement for Norwald’s Account 1938 – Chairman Cobb explained that the abatement is needed for the reason that the building was removed prior to April 1 and should not be assessed. Motion to approve the abatement was made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by William J. Mageary to approve the abatement as presented. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
3. 2017 Municipal Valuation Return - Chairman Cobb presented the 2017 MVR. Motion made by Mark R. Cobb, Seconded by William J. Mageary to sign the 2017 MVR as presented. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
4. Acton Shapleigh Historical Society – Michael S. Perro mentioned the Acton Shapleigh Historical Society will be hosting an event on October 21st from 2:00 am – 4:00 pm topic that will be discussed “The 1947 Fires”. If people aren’t able to make this date there will be another opportunity on October 14th at the Town of Kennebunk.
1. Planning Board letters
2. 12 Town Group Meeting will be Monday, October 9, 2017
3. The Acton/Shapleigh New Patrol has been delivered to Deputy Shaw
4. Maine Municipal Association Seminar on November 15 from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm – all Three Selectmen and the Executive Secretary will be attending. Topic that will be discussed is: Labor and Employment Law
2. Performance Evaluation
3. 2017 MVR
4. Abatement for Norwald’s Account 1938
5. Policy Re: Postings of Warrants
6. General Assistance Ordinance Amended
Adjourn – Motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to adjourn at 7:34 PM. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Karla Bergeron, Executive Secretary to the Board of Selectmen.
Board of Selectmen
November 17, 2017 9:38 PM