|April 04, 2018|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 7:00 pm
March 27, 2018
Call to Order
William j. Mageary, Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, March 27, 2018, at the Shapleigh Town Hall with Michael S. Perro and Jennifer J. Roux in attendance. Also, in attendance was Karla Bergeron, Executive Secretary to the Board of Selectmen.
In Attendance: Nancy Small, Roland Legere, Art Ingersoll, Skip Bartosch
Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting:
· Motion made by Michael S. Perro, seconded by William J. Mageary to approve the minutes of March 6, 2018 as present. Discussion: Since Michael S. Perro was not at the March 6, 2018 BOS meeting, he asked the Executive Secretary if the minutes depicted the actions of the Board on that evening. Her response was yes. No further discussion. Motion were approved 2 – 1 (Roux abstained).
· Motion made by Michael S. Perro, seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to approve the minutes from March 13, 2018 as written. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
· Skip Bartosch mentioned to the Board the Mousam Lake Annual Meeting will take place on Saturday, June 30, 2018. Currently, MLRA has approximately 453 paid members. MLRA is the largest lake association in Maine according to Skip.
· Roland Legere – Updated the BOS regarding the conditional use permit to establish a marina on Emery Mills Road. At this time the application has been voided, since the 90 days they had to come back before the Planning Board has expired.
Road Commissioner’s Report: North/South:
● John Burnell, Road Commissioner, North, was not able to attend tonight’s meeting.
● Caleb Chessie, Road Commissioner, South, was not able to attend tonight’s meeting.
1. 2018 TANS – Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to award the 2018 TANS to Biddeford Savings Bank for a rate of 1.90% for “as needed” or “lump sum” borrowing based on the information received from the Treasurer. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
2. Mousam Lake Dam Coalition – at this time the Board will hold off appointing the third member to this committee. Michael S. Perro stated the current by-laws may be outdated and may need to be revised since the committee has not met in some time. Michael S. Perro will contact the City of Sanford to ask that a meeting be scheduled asap. Michael S. Perro has in the past reached out to the City of Sanford requesting a meeting and has been unsuccessful. Roland Legere was asked if he wanted to be reappointed to this committee. His response was yes if the Selectmen would like him to remain on this committee.
3. Mailbox Damaged by Plowing – The Executive Secretary provided the Selectmen with the Town’s policy and also with information from Maine Municipal Association Legal department. At this time the decision of the BOS is if the mailbox is in the right of way, the Town has a legitimate concern for the safety of the drivers and for its own potential liability under the Highway Defect Act, since a mailbox is considered a “deadly fixed object”. There is no legal entitlement to replace or repay for repairs to a mailbox. Therefore, at this time the Board is recommending that resident requesting repayment for repairs to his mailbox contact the Northern plowing contractor to discuss this matter further. This is a civil matter between both parties.
4. Committee’s Attendance – The Board of Selectmen would like to have the committees attend their BOS meetings. Committee’s will be on a rotating schedule. Road Commissioners are to be included in the rotation. The Executive Secretary will schedule the committees in the coming month to request their attendance at the BOS meetings.
1. CEO Resignation – Motion made by Michael S Perro, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to accept Steven McDonough’s letter of resignation with regret. William J. Mageary read the letter of resignation. Steve’s last day of work will be Tuesday, April 10, 2018. The BOS reviewed the CEO job description and job postings. A workshop has been scheduled for Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 9:00 am to discuss the job vacancy further.
2. Performance Evaluation – The Executive Secretary reviewed the completed performance evaluation for the Office Assistant with the Selectmen. Based on job performance the Executive Secretary is recommending a $1.00 increase per hour. This is the Office Assistant’s 6-month review. Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Michael S. Perro based on a positive performance evaluation the BOS would like to increase the hourly wage for the Office Assistant by $1.00. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
3. Review of Policies – The BOS have scheduled a workshop for Monday, April 9, 2018 at 8:00 am to begin the process of reviewing the policies.
4. Request to Attend MMA Workshop on Personnel Issues – The Executive Secretary has requested to attend the MMA workshop dealing with personnel issues. Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to approve the Executive Secretary’s request to attend the MM workshop on personnel issues. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
5. RSU 57 School Budget Proposed – William J. Mageary and Michael S. Perro attended the RSU 57 budget meeting, where the overall budget was discussed. Proposed increase of $360,000 for the overall budget. The budget is not finalized at this time. More information to follow.
1. RSU 57 Agenda
2. Planning Board Agenda
3. Jennifer J. Roux will not be at the April 3, 2018 BOS meeting.
Adjourn –Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to adjourn at 8:04 PM. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Karla Bergeron, Executive Secretary to the Board of Selectmen
Board of Selectmen
April 27, 2018 4:19 AM