|November 07, 2018|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 7:00 pm
October 30, 2018
Call to Order
William J. Mageary, Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 with Michael S. Perro and Jennifer J. Roux in attendance. Also, in attendance was Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator.
In Attendance: Roland Legere, Skip Bartosch and Michael Deshaies
Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting:
· Approval of the minutes from October 16, 2018 - motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by William J. Mageary to approve the minutes as read. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
· Approval of the minutes from October 23, 2018 – motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to approve the minutes as read. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
· Roland Legere – asked to speak to the BOS regarding his attempts to scheduling a meeting with the Mousam Lake Watershed Dam Coalition (MLWDC). Roland explained the process he has been dealing with. After a lengthy discussion it was noted the meeting scheduled for November 2, 2018 will be rescheduled to Friday, November 9th at 8:00 am at the City of Sanford’s Town Hall.
· Skip Bartosch – spoke to the BOS regarding the winter draw down on Mousam Lake. Skip stated the last several years the operator for the Emery Mills Dam has let the water come back up before Christmas and never lets it draw down. Problem is the water level is to high for the winter. During the past year, there were 4 retaining walls that were damaged and had to be repaired. It was noted and will be discussed at the next MWDC meeting.
1. Printing Bids for the Town Report - Chairman Mageary opened the one bid that was received. The Town Administrator mentioned the bid proposal was mailed to 9 printing companies. Bids information:
a. Cardinal Printing- 500 copies $1,257.00. Motion was made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to award the bid to Cardinal Printing in the amount of 500 copies. No Further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
2. Permission for Off Site Training – It was noted the Fire Chief is seeking permission from the BOS to allow a Fire Department member (who is on restrictions) to perform off site training, working on the Town’s hydrants. Motion was made by Michael S. Perro to allow the Fire Department member who is on restriction to attend one hydrant training. Motion failed for lack of a second. The Selectmen discussed this matter further, where it was decided the Chairman will speak to the Fire Chief further. At this time the request was not approved.
1. Request for Educational Funding - A request has been received asking if the Town would pay for an educational class where the employee would reimburse the Town for the total cost. A discussion ensued where several questions were asked. The decision was made to contact Maine Municipal Association Legal Department for their opinion on this matter.
2. Speed Trailer – Chairman Mageary has registered the trailer with the Department of Motor Vehicle – The contract Deputy will be contacted so the speed trailer can be moved now that the trailer has been registered.
3. Acton/Shapleigh Lions Club – Chairman Mageary presented the town with a $500.00 donation from the Acton/Shapleigh Lions Club for fuel assistance. Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to accept the $500.00 donation for the fuel assistance program. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously. A thank you note will be sent to the Lions Club thanking them for the donation.
4. Shapleigh Rescue – Chief Deshaies asked to speak to the BOS regarding an EMS Junior Program. Maine EMS has sample policies and requirements for establishing such a program. If the BOS approve such a program that program would also need to be preapproved by Maine EMS. Discussion took place regarding what type of duties the junior EMS would have and protocol. Chief Deshaies stated he will begin drafting polices and requirements for the Selectmen to review. The ages for the Junior Program will be 16- 18 years of age. Roland Legere being a past High School Guidance Counselor said such a program like the proposed one is invaluable to students considering the medical field.
5. Rescue Purchase Order – The BOS signed the purchase order from the Rescue Squad to purchase hard enamel pins for the squad. Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve the purchase order as presented. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Duties of the Capital Improvements Committee – Michael S. Perro asked if the duties of the CIC have been discussed with the members of that committee. Chairman Mageary stated he attended the last meeting of the CIC where the mission statement was discussed with the members.
1. Shapleigh Fire Department Minutes
2. Proposed Zoning Changes
3. Planning Board Minutes
4. Meeting has been scheduled for Thursday, November 8th, 2018 at 8:00 am – Board of Selectmen
2. Certificate of Appointment – Karla Bergeron, Information Officer
3. Rescue Purchase Order
Adjourn –Motion made by Michael S. Perro. Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to adjourn at 8:13 pm. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator
Board of Selectmen
December 11, 2018 9:08 AM