|January 30, 2019|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 7:00 pm
January 22, 2019
Call to Order
William J. Mageary, Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:03 pm with Michael S. Perro and Jennifer J. Roux in attendance. Also, in attendance was Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator.
In Attendance: Scott Cudworth, Linda Smilie, Bradford Hartford and John Burnell
Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting: Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve the January 15, 2019 minutes as presented. No further discussion. Motion carried.
1. Linda Smilie raised the issue that on two occasions in the last few months she has seen the ambulance stuck on the side of road. Recently, Linda suffered some health issues and made the decision not to call 911 because of what she had witnessed in the previous months. The BOS stated to Linda that they were fully aware of those two incidents and reports were written so there was documentation to what transpired. At no time were there patients in the ambulance when the vehicle got stuck. The BOS appreciated Linda coming to speak to the them regarding her concerns. The Chairman of Board gave a brief history and what priorities have been placed with the Rescue Chief of Service to recruit qualified personnel for the Rescue Squad.
2. Linda asked about where she could dispose of paint cans that still have paint in them. The BOS gave her suggestions on how she could dispose of them at the Transfer Station or Sherwin Williams in Springvale, ME.
3. Bradford Hartford asked about the road conditions and potholes. Chairman Mageary mentioned the Road Commissioners are responsible for dealing with potholes, etc. Bradford did mention the pothole has been filled in at this time.
4. Free Table at the Transfer Station – Linda and Bradford mentioned how much they miss the free table that was at the Transfer Station. The BOS stated that this matter will be revisited in the spring.
Road Commissioner – John Burnell, North – reported that he met with the Planning Board to review the conditional use permit renewal for the gravel pits off of Square Pond Road. The public hearing has been scheduled for Feb 12, 2019 at 6:00 pm. The BOS asked John who is responsible for removing the snow around the hydrants in town. John’s response was it is the responsivity of the Road Commissioners. During the previous week, the Fire Chief cleaned around the hydrants and while doing so broke a piston of his plow. The invoice for the piston will be coming to town for payment.
1. General Government Budget – The Town Administrator presented the Selectmen with a draft of the 2019 warrant. She would like the Selectmen to review the warrant which will be on the agenda for the next regular BOS meeting.
2. Welcome to Shapleigh Signs – The Town Administrator presented the BOS with a cost estimate to replace the missing “Welcome to Shapleigh” signs. She explained that price is negotiable. This BOS will take this matter under advisement.
3. Office Assistant Position – Chairman Mageary asked for a status report concerning the job vacancy. The Town Administrator stated the deadline for applications/resumes is Friday, January 25, 2018. She will begin interviews the following week.
4. Junior Rescue Program – The Rescue Chief of Service had emailed the BOS and spoke to them a few months ago about promoting such a program at Shapleigh. The Rescue Chief would like to move ahead with this program. It was the decision of the BOS to allow legal to review the program and make recommendations. At this time the BOS would like to see the Rescue Chief focus on filling the per diem shifts.
1. Supplemental – The Town Administrator presented a supplemental for Trio Account 2871 in the amount of $92.44. The reason for this supplemental is because the wrong owner of record was taxed incorrectly. Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve the supplemental as presented.
2. Abatement – The Town Administrator presented the BOS with an abatement for Trio account 2871, Map 010-006-B-004 in the amount of $92.44. Wrong owner was billed. Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve the abatement as presented.
3. 12 Town Letter – The BOS read the letter from John Sylvester regarding the 12 Town Group meetings being placed on hold at this time. John is waiting to see what changes are going to made at the State level with the new Governor.
4. Winter Plowing – The BOS discussed this issues that are taking place with the northern district plowing of the roads. The plowing contractor for that district needs to uphold the contract language. It was determined a letter will be sent to the plowing contractor for the Northern District regarding areas of concern.
1. Southern Maine Planning Development Commission – letter from John Sylvester
2. Financial Report from 12 town Group
3. Planning Board Agenda
4. State of Maine Department of Economic – CEO certification on Residential Energy Code
5. Shapleigh Community Day Committee Minutes and Agenda
6. RSU 57 Agenda
Adjourn –Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to adjourn at 8:08 pm. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator
Board of Selectmen
February 17, 2019 1:43 PM