|March 13, 2019|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 6:00 pm
March 5, 2019
Call to Order
William J. Mageary, Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm with Michael S. Perro and Jennifer J. Roux in attendance. Also, in attendance was Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator.
In Attendance: Kathy Fagan, Scott Cudworth, Roland Legere and Aaron Sabine
Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Chairman Mageary asked for a moment of silence for Captain Joel Barnes who lost his life in the line of duty.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting: Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve the minutes from February 26, 2019 as written. No further discussion. Motion carried.
Roland Legere mentioned to the BOS in the past few weeks there has been some negative comments regarding the snowplowing in the Northern District. Roland would like to compliment the snowplowing contractor for the Northern District. Roland has lived off of Goose Pond Road for many years, this year’s contractor has sanded/plowed the Goose Pond Road in a exceptional way. Roland in the past has had to assist drivers who have gotten stuck on Goose Pond Road. This year he hasn’t had to assist any drivers because the plowing and sanding has been excellent.
1. Snowplowing Contract Language – The Town Administrator informed the BOS the contract has been sent to Attorney Parkinson for his legal review. Attorney Parkinson is away from his office until March 7, 2019. She will follow up with Attorney Parkinson in the coming week.
2. TANS Bid Opening – Chairman Mageary opened the 2 bids that were received. Bid results are:
a. SIS – lump sum or “as needed” rate is 2.99%
b. Biddeford Savings – lump sum or “as needed” rate is 2.15%
Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to forward the bids results to the Town’s Treasurer for her review and opinion. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
3. Shapleigh Library By-Laws – The BOS received updated copies of the proposed by laws for the Library. At this time the Selectmen will review the amendments. It was noted that it is the wishes of the BOS that the Library Trustees also sign the By-Laws as well. This matter will be carried over until the next regular BOS meeting.
4. Candidate’s Night Overview – Jennifer J. Roux expressed her disappointment in the Selectmen during the candidate’s night that was held last week. It had been agreed upon prior to the Candidate’s night that no public comment would be allowed. However, that decision was not followed. Both Michael S. Perro and William J. Mageary stated her opinion is noted.
1. Ordinance Restricting Vehicle Weight on Posted Roads – The Town Administrator presented the BOS with information regarding Maine State Statute, sample ordinance language from Maine Municipal Association for their review. At this time, it was mentioned that there is pending legislation that may change the current law. The BOS will continue to monitor this proposed legislation and will revisit this matter once a decision has been voted on by our legislatures.
2. Solar Panels – Chairman Mageary mentioned there is a significant amount of snow around the solar panels. It is his recommendation that Road Commissioner, North plow around those panels. Mageary also doesn’t feel the Town of Shapleigh should bear the costs for the plowing since Revision Energy is responsible for the maintenance of the solar panels. Michael S. Perro will follow up with Revision Energy regarding this expense.
3. Granny Kent Pond Road – Jennifer J. Roux informed the BOS that she received a call from Pete Cutrer regarding the lack of maintenance on Granny Kent Pond Road. Jennifer J. Roux did an inspection of part of Granny Kent Pond Road and it was in her opinion the road was fine. For the record, Jennifer did not drive to the end of Granny Kent Pond Road. It was noted for the record that one compliant had been received during the previous week’s snow storm and that complaint was for the South. A mailbox had been hit on County Road.
1. Planning Board Letters and Minutes
2. Water Test Results for Shapleigh Town Hall
3. Shapleigh Community Day Committee Minutes
4. ECOMaine New Cooperative Recycling Letter
Adjourn –Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to adjourn at 7:27 pm. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator
Board of Selectmen
April 22, 2019 6:27 PM