|May 31, 2019|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 6:00 pm
May 21, 2019
Call to Order
Michael S. Perro, Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm with Jennifer J. Roux and Scott E. Cudworth in attendance. Also, in attendance was Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator.
In Attendance: William J. Mageary, Autumn Littlefield, Ryan Sabine, Michael Sabine, Aaron Sabine, Carolyn Rand, Brain Rand, Nancy Small, Duffy Gold, Bruce Lamb and Madge Baker
Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting: Motion made by Scott E. Cudworth. Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to approve the minutes of May 14, 2019 as written. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously. Motion made by Scott E. Cudworth, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve the minutes from May 15, 2019 as written. No further discussion. Motion carried.
1. Madge Baker asked to speak to the BOS regarding the tower at the Williams Property. The committee has been working on allowing the public to use the tower one day each year. Maine Municipal Association has been contacted to determine liability for the Town. The previous CEO had inspected the tower and made recommendations on how to improve the overall condition of the tower. Robert (Tom) Gore visually inspected the tower for safety and he made his recommendations to make the tower safe for public use. Madge would like permission from the BOS to speak with the new CEO and Tom Gore to continue the discussion on how to make the tower safe for public use. The Selectmen agreed to move forward with these discussions.
2. Bruce Lamb asked to speak to the BOS regarding the current contract with the Roux family for the mowing of the Williams Property. The Williams Advisory Committee understands the fields may not be great hay material and the fields have not been mowed since October 2017. Jennifer J. Roux spoke to Bruce as one of the individuals named in the contract 1and not as a Selectman. Jennifer had several questions for Bruce in regards communications with Michael Roux. Jennifer did state that the material is of no value to them to use as hay. Jennifer also stated that she had communicated with this Board in 2018 that the fields would not be mowed because at that time the fields were not in need of being mowed. Based on the current contract language it states the fields can not be mowed until after September 15th of each year. The decision was made that this matter will be carried over as Unfinished Business and Michael Roux will be invited to attend the next regular BOS meeting so the communication can continue to when the fields can be mowed.
3. Duffy Gold, Capital Improvements Committee asked the BOS to appoint Steve Foglio as a regular member of the CIC. The committee met with Steve and would like to recommend his appointment. Motion made by Scott E. Cudworth, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to appoint Steve Foglio as a regular member of the CIC. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
1. Policy Review – Chairman Perro would like to schedule a Board workshop to discuss possible amendments to the Towns policies. Workshop date has been scheduled for Monday, June 3, 2019 at 8:30 am.
2. Field Use Form – The Selectmen reviewed the new form which will be used for the Rte 11 sports fields. Motion made by Scott E. Cudworth, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to approve the Field Use Form as written. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
1. Public Safety Administrator – Chairman Perro mentioned the BOS are in the process of discussing a job description for a Public Safety Administrator who would oversee Fire and Rescue. Jennifer J. Roux stated in her opinion she feels this position is desperately needed. The Town needs a strong administrator to deal with conflicts, personnel, updating bylaws along with general management skills. It was noted that during this process there will be public hearings to hear from the voters of Shapleigh to determine if this position would be supported by the voters. Questions were asked from the public but at this time there are no answers since this is in the preliminary stages.
2. Resource Proposal from York County Sheriff’s Department – Chairman Perro mentioned he had been spoken to regarding RSU 57 wanting to hire a second Resource Officer for the district. York County would like to know if the Town of Shapleigh and Acton would be interested in having the RSO work for both towns during the summer months since the school is closed. During the summer months there is an increased population for both towns. It was noted that the salary would be divided between both towns for the summer months. At this time there is no additional funding for such position. Jennifer J. Roux stated the Town of Acton is not interested in pursuing this matter at this time. It was unanimous that since there is no funding for this additional position both Towns are not interested.
3. Contract Deputy Shaw – Jennifer J. Roux informed the Selectmen that Deputy Shaw has given his 2-week notice with the Sheriff’s Department. It was decided that the Towns of Acton and Shapleigh will schedule a meeting to discuss continuing this contract.
4. Agreement between City of Sanford and the Town of Shapleigh for Dispatch Communications – Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Scott E. Cudworth to approve the contract as written. No further discussion. Motion was carried.
5. Office Assistance Position Discussion – The Town Administrator mentioned the current vacancy has been posted on Maine Municipal Association. The Town Administrator asked the BOS if they would entertain the idea of sharing this position with the Town of Acton. They have a part time Office Assistant, who has been employed with them for a year and is doing an excellent job for them. This individual would work for both towns. The hours for Shapleigh would be approximately 21+. A discussion ensued with the Selectmen and the Town Administrator. Motion was made by Scott E. Cudworth, Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to hire Cheryl Drisco as the Office Assistant with a starting salary of $14.00. This will be on a trial bases to make a determination if the shared position will work best for both towns. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Shapleigh Permit Fee Schedule – The Selectmen met early this evening with the CEO and Planning Board Chairman to discuss updating the permit fee schedule.
1. Shapleigh Planning Board Minutes
2. Conservation Minutes for April 8
3. Shapleigh Community Day Minutes for May 15
4. Library Minutes for May 8
2. Dispatch Contract with the City of Sanford
Adjourn –Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Scott E. Cudworth to adjourn at 7:53 pm. Motion passed unanimously. These minutes are not verbatim. Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator
Board of Selectmen
June 18, 2019 11:20 PM