|June 19, 2019|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 7:00 pm
June 4, 2019
Call to Order
Michael S. Perro, Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm with Jennifer J. Roux and Scott E. Cudworth in attendance. Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator was in attendance.
Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting: Tabled.
Public Comment: Chairman Perro asked if anyone had any public comment at this time.
· Selectmen Roux invited Gregory Roberts to appear before the Board to explain the School's vocational program and the Skills USA Competition. Mr. Robert's was happy to comply and concluded his summation by thanking the Board and the Town for helping him raise the $1,000 needed to attend the World Competition in Kentucky. Selectmen Roux spoke up to explain that not only did Mr. Robert's win 1st place in the entire State of Maine to get this opportunity, but that we will not only represent the State of Maine at the World Skills Competition but he is a Shapleigh resident and the Town should be very proud to be represented so well by this outstanding student and his major accomplishments.
· Skip Bartosch stated that the Mousam Lake Region Association will have their annual meeting on Saturday, June 29, 2019; MLRA has 457 paid members to the association. The Board was invited to make a short presentation at the meeting on what is going on in Shapleigh.
· Roland Legere commented on the following items:
o As a former Vocational school associate Mr. Legere wanted to comment how understated Mr. Robert's made on his accomplishments and what he had to go through to go to the World Competition. Congratulations.
o Mr. Legere then spoke regarding an email received by Alex Hammerle from Sanford regarding a letter that was going to be sent to all the Mousam Lake homeowners. Mr. Legere has yet to see the letter eluded to in the email; response back to Mr. Hammerle was to inquire about the status of the letter.
o Thirdly, Mr. Legere inquired about the timetable to clear up the sand (especially Goose Pond Road)? Due to the amount of rain the area has had sand is running down into the pond. No sign of this activity has been seen. The Chairman responded that the Town Administrator can find out from the Road Commissioner.
o Mr. Legere met with Deputy Sevigny regarding speed sign on Goose Pond Road. Someone is going to get seriously hurt as drivers are increasing speeds. Something needs to be done to alleviate the situation. Weights should also be monitored as the truck traffic has increased. Mr. Legere asked the Board to consider closing the road to commercial truck traffic. Discussion ensued. The Board will look into MMA regarding the ordinance for this subject.
· Duffy Gold informed the Board that the Down Maine Magazine cited Mousam Lake as one of the top 34 lakes in the State; poster has Mousam highlighted on it.
1. Transfer Station Performance Evaluation Completed - Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux to increase his hourly pay by 3% based on positive evaluation, seconded by Scott E. Cudworth for the Transfer Station Attendant Michael Roy. No further discussion. Motion carried.
2. Code Enforcement Officer Completed - Chairman Perro has not yet met with the Code Enforcement Officer; discussion regarding increases based on class completion. Board agrees. No hourly increase at this time.
3. Public Safety Building Administrator - Discussions will continue. A Board workshop has been scheduled for Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 6:30 pm to continue the process.
1. 2019 Paving Bid - The Board approved the Paving Bid as written.
2. Abatements, Michael Stone - Abatement on two common lots for Map1/Lot 17D and Map1/Lot 17 was presented. Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Scott E. Cudworth to approve the abatements as presented. No further discussion. Motion carried.
3. Deputy Animal Control Officer Discussions - At times, it is difficult to communicate with the Animal Control Officer; deputizing might help. Other options were discussed; item to remain on the agenda.
4. Shapleigh Corner License - Due to expire next week; application submitted. Next year a public hearing may be conducted. Motion made by Scott E. Cudworth; Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux to approve license renewal for the Shapleigh Corner Store. No further discussion. Motion carried.
5. Spirit of America Tribute - The Board will make the Spirit of America Tribute Nomination at Shapleigh Community Days.
6. Board moved into Executive Session - Motion made at 7:41 by Jennifer J. Roux; Seconded by Scott E. Cudworth to move to Executive Session pursuant to 1 M.R.S.A.§406(6)(A) Personnel Matters
Board returned from Executive Session - Motion made at 8:40 by Jennifer J. Roux; Seconded by Scott E. Cudworth to come out of Executive Session pursuant to 1 M.R.S.A.§406(6)(A) Personnel Matters. Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Scott E. Cudworth to terminate the fill in employee at the Transfer Station, effective immediately. The Town Administrator will send a letter of termination to said employee. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux, Seconded by Scott E. Cudworth to re-hire George Ellis as the fill in attendant for the disposal fee collection. The Town has received a medical release form. No further discussion. Motion carried.
1. Shapleigh Planning Board Minutes
2. Treasurer's Certificate
Adjourn –Motion made by Scott E. Cudworth; Seconded by Jennifer J. Roux, meeting closed at 8:45 pm. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Cheryl L. Drisko, Office Assistant
Board of Selectmen
July 23, 2019 9:16 AM