|August 07, 2019|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 6:00 pm
July 30, 2019
Call to Order
Chairman Michael S. Perro called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm with Jennifer J. Roux and Scott E. Cudworth in attendance;
Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator and Cheryl Drisko, Office Assistant were in attendance.
Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting:
Selectman Jennifer J. Roux requested minutes be tabled until she is able to review the audio tape.
· Bill Mageary provided the Board with the results of the City of Sanford renegotiated bid for work to be done on the dam at Emery Mills. The revised bid is now standing at $304, 650, however, in addition to that, GZA put into place a change order of $69,166, an increase in their work costs. Overall bid net decrease of $968.34 is the reduction from original bid. Mr. Mageary thinks there is still room for further reductions; discussion of reduction opportunities ensued. Bottom line is the vote affirmed the work was to proceed as it needs to be done.
· Duffy Gold asked the Board to get involved in asking if large events held at the Historical Society were safe and insured. Several persons in attendance of a concert in the building were questioning if the hall was a safe and viable event location. Ms. Gold will send her concerns to the Town Administrator who in turn will reach out to the CEO and Historical Society, bearing in mind, the Town however is not liable as it is not town property.
· Mr. Rivard approached the Board to discuss the following:
o His availability to answer any questions the Board may have on the Cemetery Policy he wrote. The Board responded it was acceptable and adopted.
o Seek the Board's approval of his purchase of a battery operated trimmer and spare battery for the cost of $197.00. The Board responded that the amount spent fell under the Maintenance budget line and was available for tools of that nature.
o The Veteran's Cemetery expansion project. Mr. Rivard had initially set
the project to be completed in steps, however the State of Maine wanted the
project to be completed all at one time. Bid was awarded to Jewett Construction
with a completion date of May, 2020. The
cost estimate was cited at $166,000. Mr.
Rivard indicated this was unfeasible and that the committee is looking into
downsizing the project and will seek out funding opportunities.
Description for the Public Safety Administrator : The
Town Administrator presented the Board with a final draft of the Public Safety Administrator's job description
with all the changes made after the Board's workshop and suggestions from the
Fire Chief. A quick review of presented draft produced a few minor edits to be
made as brought forth from those in attendance; document is ready to come out of draft form.
- schedule workshop: Concerns had come before the Board
regarding the PTO section of the Personnel Policy. Chairman Michael S. Perro recapped the PTO
formula and holiday compensation. A
workshop was scheduled for Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 5pm before the next Board
Meeting. Depending on the length of
discussion regarding PTO and the review of remaining policies, the Board
expects to complete its review by the end of said workshop. If not, another workshop
will be scheduled.
iii. Community Days: Chairman Michael S. Perro highly commended the Community Days Committee and all who were involved in making Shapleigh's Community Days a huge success. A job well done!
Department Purchase Request:
District Town Line Clarification: Jeff
Goodwin, Road Commissioner South asked the Board to clarify if the most
northern portion of Shapleigh (~80 feet) on Lebanon Road which falls into Acton
territory based on the crookedness of the Shapleigh/Acton town line can be
included in the paving schedule. The resident who lives on that section of
roadway, resides in and pays Shapleigh's taxes. The Board agreed Shapleigh should be paving. The Acton Road Commissioner
will be notified.
moved into Executive Session - Motion
made by Selectmen Jennifer J. Roux at 6:53; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth to
move to Executive Session pursuant to M.R.S.A. 14056a personnel matter.
1. Shapleigh Planning Board Minutes for Tuesday, July 9, 2019.
2. Library Meeting Minutes for July 3, 2019.
Adjourn – Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux to adjourn at 6:55 pm; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Cheryl L. Drisko, Office Assistant
Board of Selectmen
August 21, 2019 8:20 PM