|August 07, 2019|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 6:00 pm
July 23, 2019
Call to Order
Chairman Michael S. Perro called the meeting to order at 6:10 pm with Jennifer J. Roux and Scott E. Cudworth in attendance;
Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator and Cheryl Drisko, Office Assistant were in attendance.
Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting:
A motion made by Jennifer J. Roux to approve minutes of July 16, 2019 as written, seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. No further discussion. Motion carried.
· Suzie Rand asked the Selectmen if the outside water source was available for Community Days to run her activity. Response was "yes".
· Selectmen Roux mentioned at the conclusion of the prior week's meeting, several members of the Fire Dept spoke to her and Selectmen Cudworth in the Town Hall parking lot with concerns they had. According to their speaker, Mike Sabine, some members of the Dept felt they were unsafe going into fires with the current equipment on one of the trucks. Discussion in the parking lot pursued regarding compatibility of the current masks and tanks. Additional concerns were voiced including the Selectmen not supporting the Fire Department and cutting prior equipment during budget requests. As Roux and Cudworth were not part of the prior Board, the parking lot conversation ending by Roux indicating she would call the Fire Chief and follow up with the Town Administrator. Selectmen Roux wanted to update Selectmen Perro and the members of the public of the conversations that took place the week prior. From there, Roux first requested that any concerns members of the Fire Dept had be brought directly to their Fire Chief, or if they did need to come before the Board, she asked that they please bring it up in a public meeting, for the records and documentation. From there, Selectman Roux told the group, she did speak to the Fire Chief and currently he didn't have any concerns with the equipment. The Fire Chief indicated he had a plan to replace the last of the masks at the end of the current year. Additional concerns came from the public in regarding to the current safety of the equipment, even after this verbal update from Roux. The Board agreed to reach out to the Fire Chief again to get further clarification and also speak to the vendor to discuss compatibility.
i. Cemetery Policy: The Board
reviewed the Cemetery Draft Policy, written by Ronald Rivard, Superintendent of
of Deputy Animal Control Officer: The Town Administrator reported
to the Board that there was only $2,583 in the budget and it was earmarked for
the Animal Control Officer; there was no line item for the Deputy Animal
Control Officer. The Board will address during the budget process; a job description
is available for review.
Description for the Public Safety Administrator : The
Board conducted a workshop prior to the meeting to start reviewing the job
description for the Public Safety Administrator; edits were provided to the
Town Administrator to make for the next review. It was agreed by the Board that this position would be a hired employee
with an appointment as Fire-Rescue Chief. The next workshop will be determined
by conduction of Executive Session on July 25, 2019 at 9:15 am.
- schedule workshop: Selectmen Jennifer J. Roux asked that
the workshop be scheduled after Chairman Michael S. Perro could meet with the Town
Administrator and Treasurer regarding the PTO portion of the Personnel Policy.
Transfer Station Portable Restroom Discussions: The Town Administrator presented to the Board
the cost of installing a Portable Restroom at the Transfer Station. Quote is
$85.00 per month with servicing once per week and free delivery.
Office Assistant Request:
Road Assistance Program (LRAP): The
Board received from the Treasurer the Local Road Assistance Program
Certification Form to be signed and returned. These funds will give the Town $42,948
proposed for the fiscal year of 2019-2020 to be used in a manner consistent
with Chapter 19 of Title 23 §1803-B.1.A. Document signed.
Municipal Association Election Ballot: Selectmen Michael S. Perro as Chairman of the Board and with the support
of Selectmen Scott E. Cudworth signed
the Maine Municipal Association's Voting Ballot as presented.
Complaint: Selectmen Scott E. Cudworth brought to the attention of the Board that
he was approached by residents with a complaint of a piece of property next to
Ted's Fried Clams which was harboring many vehicles and thus looked like a
junkyard. The town ordinance states only two unregistered vehicles were
permitted. The Board suggested that Mr.
Cudworth have the residents contact the CEO.
Lake Drawdown Banner: Selectmen Jennifer J. Roux informed
the Board that the Mousam Lake drawdown is definitely happening and that one of
the methods of notifying the local residents on the lake was to purchasing a banner
to be hung for all to see. The Town of
Acton is purchasing said banner and is requesting that Shapleigh share the
cost. The Board agreed to cover half of
the purchase price.
Lake Watershed Dam Coalition: Chairman Mike S. Perro informed the Board
that in preparation of his retirement, he is encouraging Selectmen Scott E.
Cudworth to become involved and takeover his position on the Coalition Board. Selectmen Cudworth not only owns property on
the Lake but it is required for one of the Select Board members to take up a
position on the Coalition Board. Selectmen Cudworth is taking it under
Bids: The Board reviewed that the town is reaching out to area businesses to
solicit interest and/or bids. Selectmen
Scott E. Cudworth stated it has been difficult to find cost effective labor.
viii. Shapleigh Community Day Parade: The Board will meet on Knox Road at 8:30 am to walk in the parade during Shapleigh's Community Days on July 27, 2019.
1. Shapleigh Planning Board Agenda for June 23, 2019
2. Planning Board Best Possible Location notification to Jan J. Rajchel.
3. Town of Shapleigh Building Permit Activity List
Adjourn – Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux to adjourn at 6:48 pm; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Cheryl L. Drisko, Office Assistant
Board of Selectmen
August 21, 2019 9:24 PM