|August 28, 2019|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 6:00 pm
August 20, 2019
Call to Order
Chairman Michael S. Perro called the meeting to order at 6:02 pm with Jennifer J. Roux and Scott E. Cudworth in attendance;
Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator and Cheryl Drisko, Office Assistant were in attendance.
Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting:
A motion was made by Scott E. Cudworth to approve minutes of August 13, 2019 as written, seconded by Jennifer J. Roux. No further discussion. Motion carried.
Duffy Gold spoke to the Board regarding a webinar she attended on Grant for Design of Rural Transportation Programs and the work intended to be done to apply for grant.
i. Public Safety Administrator Job Responsibility Workshop Scheduling: The job description has been completed and it was decided by the Selectmen will keep departments separate. Prior to any meetings with the public, the job description will be posted on the website for review in advance of public meetings and notifications will be sent out pointing to available information. Public meetings will be facilitated by Chairman Michael S. Perro with Selectmen Jennifer J. Roux and Selectmen Scott E. Cudworth's perspective and input. The Selectmen chose to meet on August 27, 2019 at 5:30 prior to their stated meeting to review financial appropriations.
A motion was made by Jennifer J. Roux to approve the Town Administrator's PTO request; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. No further discussion. Motion carried.
Training: The Town Administrator
stated that the Fire Chief was seeking the Board's approval to hold the
EVOC/AVOC training in the same location as the previous year; the Public Sand
& Salt building. The Road
Commissioner had issue with this location previously being used. A summation of prior events indicated the
issue may have been the trench work being done by the solar array and the
impact the training had on the location. The BOS asked the Town Administrator to run it by the Road Commissioners
and then grant if no issue. If there is an issue, the Road Commissioners needs
to relate such information to the Board.
2. $10.10/$1,000 utilizing $35,000 of Revenue (Revenue includes: Tree Growth, Excise, etc.)
Current Tax rate is $11.50; this new rate will be a decrease.
The Town Administrator recommended to the Board to accept the $10.15 rate as this was the rate presented in letters to the taxpayer generated from the reevaluation as the proposed tax rate.
After a thorough review of reevaluation information, revenue sharing, assessment numbers, fund balances, abatements and the discussion of several scenarios, the BOS decided to accept the tax rate of $10.15.
A motion was made by Jennifer J. Roux to set the tax rate of $10.15; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. No further discussion. Motion carried. Selectmen Michael S. Perro noted for point of conversation, this is a decrease in the mil rate but not a decrease in the overall tax burden to the people.
The Town Administrator will forward the Certificate of Assessment to the Tax Collector on Friday.
4. Contract Deputy: Selectman Michael S. Perro asked if a meeting was going to be set up with the Sherriff regarding concerns that came up. Selectmen Jennifer J. Roux indicated that the issues discussed are being addressed. These were:
· A Smart Phone was to be used;
· Uniform fund was to be utilized;
· The Deputy covered only the Acton and Shapleigh areas; is not to be pulled for other zone duty unless it's a life threatening emergency; and
· Deputies schedule adjustments at the request of the BOS.
Michael S. Perro recommended that this bullet list be drafted into a letter and
sent to the Sherriff's Department to be acknowledged and signed off on. The Town Administrator will draft letter and
present to Selectmen for review; Selectman Jennifer J. Roux suggested that both
towns sign the letter.
Bid: The Town Administrator indicated
that there has been a consistent inquiry from the vendors interested in bidding
on the parking lots. Will the town be providing sand or will it be through
private vendors? Discussion ensued on
what was done in the past and how the sand is loaded and who keeps track of
amount of sand being used.
6. Revision Energy confirmed they are working on a draft for the annual town report, signage and a presentation to be held at the Shapleigh Memorial School. Selectmen Michael S. Perro reminded that Revision Energy should also contact the CEO for a permit for a sign. The Town Administrator will oversee the permitting process.
1. Planning Board Minutes for July 23, 2019
2. Planning Board Letter to Abutter regarding an After-the-fact-Conditional Use Permit for earth moving in the
3. Planning Board Findings of Fact and Approval for the Subdivision Known as Day Subdivision.
4. CMP Monthly Report
5. Overall 2019 - 2020 Road Salt Bid Results.
Adjourn – Motion made by Jennifer J. Roux to adjourn at 6:35 pm; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Cheryl L. Drisko, Office Assistant
Board of Selectmen
September 19, 2019 12:07 PM