November 24, 2020  5:57 PM 
August 27, 2020
Other Notices
November 24, 2020
November 20, 2020
November 13, 2020
November 13, 2020
November 13, 2020
November 10, 2020
October 27, 2020
October 20, 2020
October 15, 2020
October 09, 2020
October 08, 2020
October 01, 2020
October 01, 2020
September 29, 2020
September 24, 2020
September 18, 2020
September 17, 2020
September 11, 2020
September 10, 2020
September 03, 2020
September 03, 2020
September 03, 2020
August 28, 2020
August 21, 2020
August 20, 2020
August 14, 2020
August 14, 2020
August 11, 2020
August 06, 2020
July 31, 2020
July 30, 2020
July 24, 2020
July 24, 2020
July 17, 2020
July 09, 2020
July 08, 2020
July 02, 2020
July 02, 2020
June 26, 2020
June 24, 2020
June 22, 2020
June 18, 2020
June 17, 2020
June 11, 2020
June 10, 2020
June 10, 2020
June 08, 2020
June 04, 2020
June 04, 2020
June 03, 2020
June 02, 2020
May 27, 2020
May 27, 2020
May 27, 2020
May 27, 2020
May 25, 2020

Shapleigh Board of Selectmen

Minutes of Meeting – Time 6:00 pm

August 18, 2020

Call to Order

Chairman Jennifer J. Roux called the meeting to order at 6:07 pm with Scott E. Cudworth and William J. Mageary in attendance. Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator and Cheryl Drisko, Office Assistant were also in attendance. 

In Attendance: Roland Legere, Duffy Gold, Nancy Small, Steve Foglio, William Mann and Lindsay Lacourse.

Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

Approval of minutes from previous meeting: 

A motion was made by Scott E. Cudworth to approve the minutes of August 11, 2020 with noted changes; seconded by William J. Mageary.  All in favor.  Motion carried.

Public Comment:  None

Unfinished Business:

  1. Meeting with Capital Improvements Committee
    The Board invited the Capital Improvements Committee (CIC) to attend tonight's meeting to thank them for all their hard work and efforts they put into the Emery Mills Bridge Project. The second purpose for gathering the committee was to have a round table discussion on the CIC's role moving forward with the project as there will be recommendations from the engineers on what is needed to be done during the construction phase and then work on the funding portion and lastly take the opportunity to ask the committee if they would like to take on the Comprehensive Plan as their next project.

    After substantial discussion, the following points were determined:

    1. The Town Administrator will be the point of contact to eliminate multiple responses. The Town Administrator will carbon copy all Board and committee members on all correspondence related to the project. The Board will touch basis in a week or two to see how communications are going.
    2. The CIC committee does want to be involved in the Emery Mills Bridge Project as it continues and since they possess significant experience and knowledge relative to the project will be included in the kick-off meeting to share and review history and background information with the group. In the interim, the CIC is open to taking on a new project. The committee will meet and consider the Comprehensive Plan as it was commented, "you cannot support capital improvements if there is no Comprehensive Plan". The Town Administrator will scan the mission statement of the current version of the Comprehensive Plan and send it to the committee for their review. The CIC will let the Board know of their decision once they meet.

Again, Chairman Roux thanked the Capital Improvement Committee for all they did. Kudos!

  1. Sports Field and Commons Mowing Invoice
    The Board invited C&D Landscaping to come before them to explain his invoicing and answer questions they had on some of his charges; the Landscaper was out of town. The most effective way to resolve the Landscaper's lack of appearance is to hold invoice balance on payment until he can appear before the Board. Discussion ensued regarding how invoice information is presented and charged. Town Administrator was asked to find out when contract expired. This item will be on next week's agenda.



  2. Atlantic Broadband Contract
    The Board of Selectmen held a workshop via Zoom with Atlantic Broadband representative Fran Bradley to review their questions and concerns, especially rate hikes and closed Springvale Office. Given the complexity of the items the Board is seeking information on, the representative will reach out to his superiors and report back to the Board.

    A motion was made by William J. Mageary to table discussions until next week whence a response is given by the Atlantic Broadband representative; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. All in favor. So moved.

  1. Review of Town Policies Continued
    1. Tobacco-Free Workplace

· Housekeeping changes - commas, additional C in Tobacco, etc.

· A change to include Marijuana as a defined product

· An addition to sentence after private property: except for emergency responders.

    1. Town Committees Meeting Locations Other Than Town Hall - on space added.
    2. Town of Shapleigh Sale of Town Owned Equipment/Personal Property - no changes
    3. The Use of Any Town Owned Property - no changes
    4. Town Report, Preparation Of - no changes

New Business:

1. Rescue Chief Update (Cameras, Lucas Device & Fire Detectors)
The Rescue Chief reported back to the Board that she had met with the Fire Chief and EMA Director to go over what was needed at the Public Safety Building and for the Rescue Department. Together they establish a priority list of items to be done and/or purchased; the priority order was Paving, Fire Alarm/Smoke Detectors (combo detectors), Cameras and Ceiling to be done all simultaneously. There is $14,000 in the maintenance account and $18,000 in a reserve account. Discussion ensued. Chairman Roux recommended a monitoring system be considered and that a scan of all proposals be emailed to the Board for review. Board will discuss next week.

Next the Rescue Chief explained details surrounding her need to purchase a CPR medical device called Lucas; included in her presentation was costs, benefits, rate change flexibility, training and warranty as well as details of use. Currently the Rescue Chief has $15,000 allocated in her budget for this purchase, however, the proposed cost is around $17,291.78. The Board agreed to support this purchase; to be on next week's agenda after reviewing documentation.

Lastly, Selectman Mageary asked the Rescue Chief to explain items such as monies to be raised and appropriated at Town Meeting, Subscription rates, the purchase of a new ambulance, salary increases both for per diem staff and the Rescue Chief, all which were referenced in the Rescue Departments minutes regarding budget. The Rescue Chief briefly explained the direction the budget was going in. Consensus was that there will be a need for roundtable discussions to be had and further conversations nearer to finalizing budgets.

2. Maine Municipal Association Annual Election
A motion was made by William J. Mageary to approve the Maine Municipal Association Annual Election slate as presented; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. Vote 2 to 1 (Roux). So moved.

3. Recreation Committee Field Use Form
The Town Administrator received the completed Field Use Form from the Recreation Committee for Soccer. The Softball team chose to play elsewhere. The Park Director approved the form.


A motion was made by William J. Mageary to approve the Recreational Committees use of the Recreational Fields; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. All in favor. Good to see something being offered to the Town's families.

4. Use of the Commons
The Town Administrator received a request to book the gazebo in the Town's Commons for band practice on Thursday, August 21, 2020 from 11 am to 1 pm.

A motion was made by William J. Mageary to permit William Sleight to use the Town Common's gazebo on August 21, 2020 from 11 am to 1 pm for band practice. All in favor. So moved. The public is invited to listen in.

Information:

i. Planning Board Letters and Approved Minutes


Signatures:

i. Warrants

ii. MMA Voting Ballot

iii. Recreational Field Form

Any other business that the Chairman may wish to bring before the meeting.

Selectman Mageary asked Roland Legere how he perceived the Planning Board meetings were going electronically.

Roland responded the meetings were going well, there were no technical issues or complaints and it was a convenient way to conduct meetings. Roland further commented that Mike Demers did a great job coordinating. Site visits are still done in person.

Adjourn :

A motion was made by William J. Mageary to adjourn at 7:05 pm; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth.  Motion passed unanimously. 

These minutes are not verbatim.  Cheryl L. Drisko, Office Assistant.