November 24, 2020  6:07 PM 
September 03, 2020
Other Notices
November 24, 2020
November 20, 2020
November 13, 2020
November 13, 2020
November 13, 2020
November 10, 2020
October 27, 2020
October 20, 2020
October 15, 2020
October 09, 2020
October 08, 2020
October 01, 2020
October 01, 2020
September 29, 2020
September 24, 2020
September 18, 2020
September 17, 2020
September 11, 2020
September 10, 2020
September 03, 2020
September 03, 2020
August 28, 2020
August 27, 2020
August 21, 2020
August 20, 2020
August 14, 2020
August 14, 2020
August 11, 2020
August 06, 2020
July 31, 2020
July 30, 2020
July 24, 2020
July 24, 2020
July 17, 2020
July 09, 2020
July 08, 2020
July 02, 2020
July 02, 2020
June 26, 2020
June 24, 2020
June 22, 2020
June 18, 2020
June 17, 2020
June 11, 2020
June 10, 2020
June 10, 2020
June 08, 2020
June 04, 2020
June 04, 2020
June 03, 2020
June 02, 2020
May 27, 2020
May 27, 2020
May 27, 2020
May 27, 2020
May 25, 2020

Shapleigh Board of Selectmen

Minutes of Meeting – Time 6:00 pm

August 25, 2020

Call to Order

Chairman Jennifer J. Roux called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm with Scott E. Cudworth and William J. Mageary in attendance. Karla Bergeron, Town Administrator and Cheryl Drisko, Office Assistant were also in attendance. 

In Attendance: Lindsay Lacourse, Chuck Starbird and Mike Roy

Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

Approval of minutes from previous meeting: 

A motion was made by William J. Mageary to approve the minutes of August 18, 2020 as written; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth.  All in favor.  Motion carried.

Public Comment:  None

Unfinished Business:

  1. Rescue Chief Discussion - Review of Bids
    1. Lucas -
      Rescue Chief Lindsay Lacourse discussed the proposed costs, supply, warranty charges (optional) and available funds for the Lucas device with the Board of Selectmen. The Board asked that clarification of the warranty be provided. The Rescue Chief will ask for a more detailed description and send back to the Board as soon as they are received for review. This item will be back on the Board's agenda next week.

    2. Cameras -
      Rescue Chief Lindsay Lacourse discussed upgrading or replacing the Cameras/camera system in the Public Safety Building. The Board recommended the Recue Chief to reach out to American Security for a quote and to review with ADT camera purchase and monitoring costs; ask for a more detailed quote; and pricing as related to being a municipality. Camera placement, expansion and building entry to be addressed was discussed. The Board will revisit next week.

      Open discussions prompted the following topics not related to bid items to be included in discussions:

· Parking at the Public Safety Building - Discussed was staff parking, snowplowing of lot and staff's security related to parking.

· Satisfying purchase policy metrics - yes being followed; no decisions made yet.

· Update on PPE order - received 3 cases S, M and L gloves and 80 boxes of 50 single use masks. Invoice has been submitted.

· Fire Suppression issue - Fire Chief is reviewing; will come to Board when ready.

  1. Responsibilities of Capital Improvement Committee (CIC)/Comprehensive Plan Committee
    Feedback received from the CIC was that all members but one were interested in taking on the Comprehensive Plan project and that the Chairman was reaching out to others. Discussion ensued. The outcome from the Board's discussions was that the Board will consider how to formalize the project committee and solicit for members.

  2. Sports Fields and Commons Mowing Invoice
    Chuck Starbird of C&D Landscaping was present to review the work and billing process for four fields (soccer, baseball, Town Hall and the Commons). Selectman Mageary was concerned that the invoices reflected double billings and recommended the details be broken out to reflect charges per date of work. Selectman Mageary was further disappointed that the Commons needed work; the Landscaper had done the job in the Spring but volunteered to do again. Video of work performed was viewed. Discussion ensued. The Board determined that according to the bid, the allotted amount invoiced and dispersed by the end of the term is not fully received by the vendor. The outcome is that this item goes out to bid again in October and the Board will redesign the bid specifications to tighten expectations and billing processes for the next contracted term. It was recommended that if C&D Landscaping plans to bid for the next term that they do not short change themselves and put in the work that needs to be done when placing that bid. The Board will review bid notice over the next few weeks.

  3. Atlantic Broadband Contract
    Tabled - no response received.

  4. Review of Town Policies Continued

A. Transfer Station and Recycling Area Operation Manual - tabled one week to allow for the Transfer Station Attendant to review; fees listed in the policy will be what is decided on the fee schedule. Note - Casella is changed to EcoMaine.

Related to the Transfer Station, hopper use and fee discussion the following were discussed:

Transfer Station's Receipt of Boat/Silage Wrap
An issue occurred whereas silage wrapping jammed one of the machines at the Transfer Station. The Board discussed options to alleviate this from reoccurring. Recommendation was to spread the word nicely, feed smaller amounts of this product into the machine and have the Transfer Station employee monitor.

B. Transfer Station Stickers/Cards - no changes.

C. Treasurer's Disbursement Warrants for Employee Wages and Benefits - Selectmen names to be updated; no other changes.

D. Voided Checks - no changes.

E. Warrants Posting - no changes.

  1. Update on Exhaust Fan at the Sand/Salt Building
    The Town Administrator is trying to get a hold of the vendor; supposedly sending quote, bill, insurance information. The repair requires a lift, a crane and 2 to 3 people to assist. The vendor's is right out straight on side jobs and currently has no time to put this into his schedule. The Town Administrator will try again to get in touch; an update will be forthcoming when vendor can be reached.

  2. Library Granite Blocks
    Selectman Mageary notified the Town Administrator that if the Library Trustees required assistance in moving the granite blocks and dirt mound to another section of property, he was willing to use his equipment to do so. The Town Administrator will reach out to the Chairman of the Library Trustees and let her know.

  3. Resumption of Meetings in Town Hall
    The Board has determined that as of September 1, 2020 all meetings can be held in the Town Hall as long as COVID protocols are followed; a memo will be sent out.



New Business:

F. Fee Schedule at Transfer Station Discussion
Mike Roy, Transfer Station Attendant was invited to take part in the Board's discussion on the Transfer Station's fee schedule and whether to increase fees or not. Mr. Roy recommended mattresses, couch, box spring, lawn mowers, lawn machines, exercise equipment be increased. In his estimation, prices are all good, but he is hearing from others that the Town is too cheap, especially when "Out of Staters" are bringing items in from other states to discard; residents are not complaining. The schedule was reviewed and discussion ensued. The Board asked the Town Administrator to provide them with some comparison data from Newfield and Lebanon as well as the financial information related to revenues in and amounts paid out so that they can determine whether it is advisable to raise fees or not; preference is to not raise fees. Item will return to agenda once data is available.

G. Shapleigh ACO Cell Phone
The Animal Control Officer (ACO) is shared with the Town of Acton and is required by law to be available at all times. Currently the ACO has a cell phone provided by the Town of Acton for his use, but he uses his personal cell phone for the Town of Shapleigh calls. The Town of Acton proposed to the Town of Shapleigh that the issued cell phone costs be shared by both towns and utilized for calls in both towns. The Board of Shapleigh agreed. The telephone number 207-206-6065 will be advertised and used by both towns to get a hold of the Animal Control Officer.

H. Shapleigh Fire Police Traffic Incident Job Description
The Fire Chief presented a proposed job description for a group of firefighters who would manage traffic control; they will not be permitted into any burning buildings. These members would be an active member of the fire department and will be issued vests, reflectors, and signs. They will be paid the same as regular fire members. They will also be provided the necessary training and certifications to perform their tasks. Reporting hierarchy would be to report to the senior member on the scene.

The Board reviewed and recommended that the word Police be removed as there will be no law enforcement authority.

The Town Administrator will update tomorrow and resend to the Board as the Fire Chief wants to have someone start immediately.

I. Library Sheetrock Repair
The Town Administrator presented to the Board a quote to repair the Library Sheetrock. There is an insurance claim in place for this work. Discussion ensued.

Selectman Mageary ask to hold an Executive Session to further discuss.

A motion to go into Executive Session pursuant of Title 405(6)(a)(1) was made Jennifer J. Roux at 7:16 pm; seconded by Scott E. Cudworth. All in favor. So moved.

A motion to come out of Executive Session pursuant of Title 401(6)(a)(1) at 7:21 pm was made by Scott E. Cudworth; seconded by William J. Mageary. All in favor. So moved.


Information:

i. Planning Board Agenda


Signatures:

i. Warrants

Any other business that the Chairman may wish to bring before the meeting.

Adjourn :

A motion was made by Scott E. Cudworth to adjourn at 7:25 pm; seconded by William J. Mageary.  Motion passed unanimously. 

These minutes are not verbatim.  Cheryl L. Drisko, Office Assistant.